[Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy

To: amps contesting <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fw: Good amp to buy
From: david sutton <sootydave@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:03:33 -0800 (PST)

From: Phil LaMarche <plamarc1@verizon.net>
To: lists@subich.com; Bill K2OWR <k2owr@comcast.net>; Lee Buller
Cc: amps@contesting.com
Sent: Fri, January 29, 2010 2:56:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Amps] Good amp to buy

W9DVM

-----Original Message-----
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Joe Subich, W4TV
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 2:53 PM
To: 'Bill K2OWR'; 'Lee Buller'
Cc: amps@contesting.com

> I have never heard anyone say that the AL82 was prone to failure, or
> that the components were delicate or hard to find. In my opinion an
> amp like this, bult like a battleship, if run even a little
> conservatively, will serve one for many more years, without failure
> than amps like the SB220, TL922, or the others, all of which are
> underdesigned with components stressed close to their limits.

There is a HUGE difference between the design of the AL-82 and the SB-220,
TL-922, L-4B, etc.  The AL-82 was designed in a regulatory environment with
1500 W PEP output (about 2300 W DC
input) while the SB-220, TL-922, L-4B, etc. were designed in an era where
the legal limit was 1000 W DC input.  The older amps weren't "under
designed" - they were designed for the rules in effect at the time with a
reasonable safety factor as
shown by the amount of "abuse" they regularly survive.

The difference represents 50% more plate dissipation (heat), significantly
more stress on the band switch and plate choke, greater energy stored in the
filter capacitors, and higher fault currents.

Any user who regularly pushes the older amplifiers to 1500 W is courting
catastrophic failure.  Will some amps let the user get away with abuse -
yes.  I'd stack the L4B up against any of the "modern" amps (particularly
with some modern fixes like a faster T/R relay and low voltage PTT line) but
1500 W is still pushing the limits for devices designed for operation at
1000 W DC.

73,

  ... Joe, W4TV