Re: [Amps] why did Heath die?

To: Alek Petkovic <vk6apk@bigpond.com>, Charles Harpole <k4vud@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] why did Heath die?
From: Dave White <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:06:45 +0100
I also wonder if there are fewer 'elmers' around these days and as such we're
slowly losing the culture of building stuff.  There should be no excuse for
this in the days of this new-fangled interweb thingy, but here in the UK local
amateur radio clubs seem to be dying out so maybe fewer people see and help
debug each others' projects?  I gained the confidence to start building stuff
because I knew other people locally who were home brewers and were helpful with
advice (G8ROU, G6ABU, GW3NWS, GW4LXO etc).  But surely these days with the www
at our fingertips and a ready-made bunch of experts on this list to help
diagnose and fix problems it should be easier to home brew from scratch, kit or
no kit?

Contrary to what some people may say, you don't need a state of the art metal
workshop.  The only metal working tools I use are a jigsaw, a file or two and a
drill.    You can make decent cabinets and chassis like this with just sheet
aluminium, angle and a big bos of self tapping screws.  Sure, I can't get an an
amazingly professional finish like Bob VK3ZL does but it's good enough for me.

What did surprise me was that when I bought a couple of large vacuum variable
capacitors on the fleamarket at Dayton and was carrying them around and back to
the car, I lost count of the number of guys with extra class callsign badges
who asked me what they were.  Is there a message in there somewhere?

Dave G0OIL