Re: [Amps] why did Heath die?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] why did Heath die?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 09:26:55 -0500
> Contrary to what some people may say, you don't need a state of the art
> metal workshop.  The only metal working tools I use are a jigsaw, a file
> or two and a drill.    You > can make decent cabinets and chassis like
> this with just sheet aluminum, angle and a big bos of self tapping screws.

When I worked as a post-grad student for RKO Radio in Chicago, we produced a
number of highly professional projects using nothing more than the tools
David described.  For chassis and panel work, once the opening is roughly
the size wanted, a file is used to carefully bring the rest of the opening
within specifications.  After completion, our work was sent out for
anodizing, and engraving with white-filled letters.

I still use this method today.  A small jigsaw is mounted upside down into a
large vise to easily move the metal work around.  I am sure an OSHA (the
occupational safety administration in the U.S.) inspector would have a few
things to say, but the combination is locked down tight.  I suppose it's
possible for the saw to become disengaged while operating in the vise, but
with the right orientation of the vise handle, that risk is pretty much
minimized.

Here's a recent example of a project that I sent out for engraving and
anodizing.  Scroll down to the balanced antenna tuner cabinet:

http://www.qrz.com/db/w9ac

Paul, W9AC