Re: [Amps] 1kw plus amps for Less than $1k

To: "ko1h" <ko1h@cox.net>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1kw plus amps for Less than $1k
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:12:21 -0500
Just about any amp from the 70's and later fits those requirements.

The ones with poor reputations are mostly when they are pushed well beyond
the old 1000W DC, 2000W PEP INPUT ratings. Many Alpha, Dentron, Henry,
Hunter, etc fall into this category.

The main amp here is a LK-500ZC that I bought new in 86, it still does 1200W
out with the original tubes and capable of 1500W in a test.

My MLA-2500 still has the original tubes and runs 1000W output...period. Not
1200-1500W that some have tried by cutting out the swamping resistor. It is
used on the 2nd station and I was lucky enough to pickup a NIB pair of spare
tubes for $200 several years ago.

The backup amp is an Alpha 76CA 3 holer that was beat to death in a
multi-multi contest station. I got it at a spare parts price when the owner
decided it would cost too much to completely refurb. I picked up six full
output 8874's for $400 from decommissioned cell phone amps at the Nearfest
hamfest 2 years ago. It will run 1800W; I will keep it at 1200W.

The above cover 160-10M including 12/17M.

If you intend to buy an amp using discontinued/expensive tubes shop for a
replacement set first. Then find the matching amp hopefully with good tubes.
You now have 10-20 years of use ahead of you; maybe a lot more.

Carl
KM1H