Re: [Amps] YC156 operating parms for US amp build?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] YC156 operating parms for US amp build?
From: Larry <larry@w7iuv.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:55:49 -0700
My YC-156 runs just fine with 3300 volts on the anode under load. At
that level it will see 1500 out with about 40 watts of drive. I have the
ZSAC set for approximately 200 ma. That's more than enough to see good
linearity at that low output level, but some what higher would be better
if you leaned on the drive harder.

On a dummy load using the FT-1000D (don't normally use that radio with
this amp) I can see just under 4 kw out before the AC line breaker trips
out, and that's with around 180-190 watts drive. This is not something I
would recommend, I only did it to satisfy my curiosity.

15v/15 amp is what I'm using for heater power.

No "supprssors" of any kind needed, very stable operation and easy to
tune up, at least on the bands I have it set up for. The only real
complaint I have is the 6+ minute  heater warm-up time. In that amount
of time I can usually work the DX barefoot.....

Much faster and easier to use the 2x3-500Z's (or the 4x813's, or the
3x4-400A's, etc.)

73,

Larry - W7IUV
DN07dg - central WA