Re: [Amps] Now this here is a real ham's amp!

To: n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Now this here is a real ham's amp!
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 09:21:18 -0400

Pete Smith wrote:
> The pictures look gorgeous - wonder why he couldn't test it, at least to
> the point of turning on the filaments and the HV?

Being a boat anchor rebuilder and fan (I have the Hallicrafters line
SX101A, HT32B, HT-33B but it's been so long since it's been used I only
know the 33B works) I often wonder why people want to see the rig
powered up if it can't be tested. Just turning these old rigs on from
stone cold is one of the worst things you can do to them. It's bad
enough with amps, but with receivers and transmitters the load on the
power transformers can be immense from leaky lytics and old tubes.
There's few things that can go wrong with an old Henry, unlike those
using electrolytics.  Still tubes sitting for years without the fire
being lit along with transformers and chokes soaking up moisture I
cringe at the though of some one just throwing the "on switch" even if
it sounds like the thing to do.

73

Roger (K8RI)