Re: [Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes.

To: Jim.thom@telus.net, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] HV lytic max V ratings..some notes.
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:43:52 EDT

In a message dated 4/11/2010 9:24:56 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Jim.thom@telus.net writes:

I  usually sail pretty close to the wind. I work on having 1 spare
capacitor  worth of headroom in a bank. For example, if the dc voltage
is 4500V, then  I would use 11 x 450VW capacitors in the bank. Never
had a cap go bang on  me by using that crude formula.

Denny used 7 caps when everyone else used 8.  I just had to recap an
LK-500 because of a bad cap.  He always found a way to save a penny.   The
worst
blunder I think he made was not only didn't he have a grid trip on the
DTR-2000L, he didn't even have a metering scheme for the grid.  Then when  he
DID use some sort of grid trip and Hi plate current trip safety measure, it
was on the LK-500ZC with 3-500's.  Who needs that?
Yet the DTR-2000L is a highly sought after amplifier, and a nice one will
bring over $1500.00.  Go figure. I won't go into not using a filament choke
and using chassis return on the filament supply and a blower that might
handle a  6146.