Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 21:45:35 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:45:24 -0400, Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
wrote:

>No one has touched the question on how reducing power without returning
>affects IM I now have another one.

REPLY:

Let me take a guess on this one. I have not measured the change in IMD
with reduced power, but I think this makes sense:

Most amps that we use are biased for class AB1 or AB2. With full drive
they have a certain IMD. As you reduce the drive you move closer to
class A. At a certain low level, you actually are operating class A.

It seems to me therefore, that the answer to your question is that
reducing drive does indeed reduce IMD. Hopefully someone here has the
equipment to make accurate measurements and can provide a conclusive
answer.

73, Bill W6WRT