Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?

To: "'Roger'" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 17:34:25 -0400
I worked in the cable TV industry for a short time a long while ago. I dug
out my old CATV handbook and they give a pretty good explanation on intermod
although they call it "cross modulation". I quickly looked over the part on
IM and this is what I came away with:

They say that the easiest way to look at it is to use percentages of
distortion rather than db. In other words if we have two cascaded amps of
the same type and they each have .1% IM products then the result out of the
second amp will be .2%. Adding a 3rd amp of the same type also with .1% IM
would yield a total of .3% IM out of the 3rd amp.
So it seems that the IM products directly add together.
They go on to say that with 2 amplifiers that gives an increase of 3 db in
total IM over a single amp.

Now the amps in this case were tube amps of the "distributed" type, which
makes them very broad band and they hold their phase shift constant. They
refer to them as "well behaved" amplifiers.

With "not so well behaved" amplifiers the total IM output is a different
story. They show a typical dip in IM products in the mid to 3/4 output
range. So IM products are higher at around 1/3 power, dip down at around 3/4
power and are highest at full output.
I suspect that most of that would come from phase shifts in the amps being
"not well behaved amplifiers".

The not so well behaved amplifier scenario is probably similar to amateur
exciter/amp setups. In a post I made on this a few days ago I mentioned that
in most amplifiers there is a dip in the IM products mid way in 3rd order
and a dip in 5th order at a higher level and then the IM products increasing
again at full output.
According to Orr these IM products can be pretty closely predicted
mathematically from the tube curves.

I think that Collins was trying to reduce the total IM products from the
30S1/KWM2 system when they recommended a specific length interconnect cable
for the RF input to the amp. They make mention of the concern for the phase
of the signal at the plate of the driver and the phase of the signal at the
plate of the amp. I am guessing that the attempt was to have some amount of
cancellation of the total IM products by this.

73
Gary  K4FMX