Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?

To: "'AMPS'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] A tale of two IMs What happens?
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 12:58:10 -0400

Hi Dave,

In further reading of the catv handbook it seems that what they mean by
"well behaved amplifiers" is they provide a straight line relationship
between output and IM contributions.
A good one provides a 2 db decrease in IM products for a 1 db decrease in
output. This carries thru most of the output level range of the amplifier.

The "not so well behaved amplifier" has a dip in the output verses IM line
over the output range. In other words it does not always provide the 2 db
decrease in IM with 1 db decrease in output.
This is similar to what our ham amps do.

With the catv amps they are assuming all amps have the same amount of gain
and the same level of input signal. Then the IM product contribution of each
can be directly added together as shown before.

With our ham amplifiers they are amplifying the IM products from the driver
along with the main signal. So if the new IM products generated in the amp
from the main signal are in phase with the IM products amplified from the
driver they should add together. But that would only be true if our
amplifier was totally linear.

I would think that the addition would have to be calculated similar to how
noise figure is calculated with cascaded amplifiers of different gains and
noise contributions.

73
Gary  K4FMX