Re: [Amps] 160m mosfet linear amplifier problem with ferrite cores

To: tzitzikas_ee@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com, ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 160m mosfet linear amplifier problem with ferrite cores
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:33:35 EDT
It is quite normal for an amplifier to show lower efficiency when it is run
 at lower drive and output levels. As the drive is reduced, the class of
operation moves in the direction of class A and we know that class has low
efficiency.

The higher efficiency comes at high drive and plate/collector/drain
currents. These conditions move the class of operation in the direction of
class
B or C. These classes of operation are known for higher efficiency.

I have no input on the broken core other than it sounds like there must
have been a lot heating going on.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 4/17/2010 8:56:26 A.M. Central Daylight Time,