Re: [Amps] Bridging 120v loads across HV primary windings

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Bridging 120v loads across HV primary windings
From: Paul Decker <kg7hf@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 00:16:30 +0000 (UTC)

I'm not sure that is exactly right.  I think what is being said is hanging the
120 VAC loads across half the primary.  In essence, the primary winding
consists of two individual windings which can be placed in series to provide a
240 VAC primary, or in parallel to provide a 120 VAC primary at twice the
current.  When configured in series as 240 VAC, the voltage at the center tap
of the primary would be 120 VAC.  I don't see any safety issue with this
configuration as the 120 load is not using the "ground" wire as a return path.

What is the rub?

Paul Decker (KG7HF)

Message: 5