Re: [Amps] Peter Dahl / Harbach SB-220 transformer

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Peter Dahl / Harbach SB-220 transformer
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:14:09 -0400
Directly grounding the grids increases the stage gain which may lead to
instability on the highest bands. This also adds more stress to the
bandswitch.

Adding another 100-150W wont sound any louder at the other end.

Many years ago, maybe 1992-3, I picked up a SB-221 with a blown transformer
and bandswitch and did a bit of experimenting. With an outboard PS
delivering 3200VDC under a 900ma load I was able to get 1700-1800 out
160-10M with 100W drive. The switch was a JVC 9000 series similar to Amp
Supply and others. The 221 and late 220's came with the wide spaced Tune cap
which was also offered as an upgrade by Heath. The grids were left as built.

Cooling was with a 8" diameter muffin fan with a 2 speed switch on the front
panel, I dont know if the Harbach fan has enough cfm to cool graphite tubes
at that power. Increased air also generates more noise.

That amp is still around, I saw it on Fleabay late last year.

Carl
KM1H