[Amps] 1 db compression point procedure ?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 1 db compression point procedure ?
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 05:40:20 -0700
Ok

What's the exact procedure for finding the ..'1db compression point'   on a HF
amp ??

I have conflicting info on the procedure.   With hardly any drive, the typ HF
amp has a
lot of gain.    As drive levels increase, the gain goes down.   Question is....
where is the
starting point of all this??     With 1 watt of drive... or 5w or what ?   It
makes a big diff
to the results.

I'm assuming the amp is 1st tuned to  say normal power output... like
1200-1500w out..
IE: tune and load tweaked for max power out at normal power, then maybe
increase the

Then leave the tune and load caps alone... and reduce drive to a very small
amount... and   then measure
both the drive to the amp... and also the power output of the amp  [ say 1-5 w
of drive.. and  20-100w out]
  Then start increasing drive level a bit  and  measure the gain once more  [
it should be dropping off a bit]

Does this procedure have to be done with a cxr.. or can we do it pulse tuned ??
   Have I even got the
procedure any where near correct??

I take it, we don't want to operate the amp beyond the point  where the gain
drops by 1 db ?    But
where is the starting point ?

I can also tweak the bias on the GG amp quite a bit.

tnx.... Jim   VE7RF