Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier

To: Jim W7RY <w7ry@inbox.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 18:54:58 -0600
Jim,

Yes the comments hold true period!  Flux in any core with shorted turns
will cause extra loss with the exception of a type -0 core which has
u=1.  I have seen shorted turns on a toroid core causing the toroid to
heat to the point of cracking.  The shorting contacts on most
bandswitches were designed for air core inductors where leaving the
unused part of the coil open can result in bandswitch arcing.  Shorting
the unused turns in an air core inductor does cause some small loss but
it is generally deemed to be the preferable choice to having the
bandswitch arc with the turns open.

For what it's worth you can generally make an inductor for 80 or 160m
which has higher Q when wound on a low loss toroid vs air.  This
statement of course needs to be qualified with the requirement that we
want the amp to be relatively compact in size so that we can't allocate
a spacious cavern for the output network.

Larry, W0QE