Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 17:21:22 -0700 (PDT)
"So you're saying Alpha, Ten-Tec, Jim W8ZR, Jerry K8RA and myself are all wrong
and their designs don't or wont work?"

ummmm, very short and very blunt answer, yes...

Longer, more nuanced answer, those designs will not work "optimally" because of
lost energy (heat) from the pumping of out of phase currents in the toroid
cores that have taps and unused turns - energy that should have gone out the
coax...

For a proper design, go look at the Palstar HF2500DX... Each band has it's own
separate toroid, uncoupled from the turns on the unused cores, so that there
are no out of phase currents induced into the operating core...

If my answer is over blunt, I apologize -  you asked the question and that is
my answer... I am not looking to get into a squabble with anyone...

cheers
denny / k8do