Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] New HF amplifier
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:18:11 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:51:19 -0400, "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com> wrote:

>What is the power difference between this "optimized" design and the
>original HF-2500 with a tapped single toroid for 80/160 and a shorting
>switch?

REPLY:

I had a conversation with the fellow at Command about just this
question after my HF-2500 (not the DX version) burned up it's second
toroid while RTTY contesting on 40 meters. He said they were
developing a Magnum version which was designed to overcome this
problem and would run 1500 watts of constant carrier with no time
limit on any band. In the meantime he said to keep mine down to 1000
watts on RTTY when on 40/80/160. I ran it for several more years that
way with no problem.

Presumably the Magnum is the "optimized" design Carl refers to above.

I saw later that the Magnum version was available on special order.
That was before the Palstar acquisition. Not sure what Palstar is
doing in this regard.

73, Bill W6WRT