Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?

To: "'Hardy Landskov'" <n7rt@cox.net>, <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why do tubes cost so much?
From: "Alex Eban" <alexeban@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:07:12 +0200
A number of factors conspire.
First, the materials are a big stumbling block. The porosity of the
materials is the main issue: the bigger the tube, the more stringent the
requirement becomes and the price goes up.
Second, the bigger the tube, the harder to execute the brazing between the
metal and the ceramic parts.
Third, the vacuum process becomes more prolonged and complicated the bigger
the tube. Implosions are quite frequent when evacuating the bigger tubes and
usually result in a throw away and end with a cadaver from which nothing can
be salvaged.
There are more points of the same ilk, but you get the picture!
All this, combined with an assembly precision equivalent to a Swiss watch,
all add to the final cost.
So, you see.......
Alex    4Z5KS