Re: [Amps] Metering Boards

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Metering Boards
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 08:01:32 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 07:41:08 -0500, donroden@hiwaay.net wrote:

>I think Windows XP hates me.  Another drive bites the dust.
>( sigh )

REPLY:

Off topic but perhaps useful to the group:  The new solid state drives
should be far more reliable, according to the manufacturers. I just
installed an OCZ 30 GB drive which the manufacturer claims to have a
MTBF of 1.5 million hours - about 171 years! Cost $79.95 after rebate.
Noticeably faster than a mechanical HD too. Windows loads in about
half the time.

It is a SATA drive, plug and play compatible with standard SATA hard
drives, although physically smaller. Once installed you use is just as
usual. You can format, partition, defrag and everything else you do
with a mechanical HD.

30 GB is not large by today's standards, especially if you are doing a
lot of video stuff, but for ham use it should be more than enough.
Larger ones are available, but much more expensive.

I've lost track of the mechanical HDs I have replaced over the last 21
years of owning a home PC. With luck, this will be my last.   :-)

The usual disclaimers, no financial interest.

Hope this helps.

73, Bill W6WRT