Re: [Amps] vacuum variable caps

To: mikflathead@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] vacuum variable caps
From: DAVE WHITE <mausoptik@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 18:43:21 +0000 (GMT)
Hi Mike - just a case of convenience versus complexity really.
 If you ground the shaft side you just have to isolate from ground and design
for RF 'live" around one simple connection.  If you ground the non-shaft end
you have to cope with mounting against the panel via insulators and isolating
RF from the knob, turns counter or motor, which would be more complex.  You
could use an insulated shaft isolator, flange mount the far end and leave the
front of the capacitor "floating" and held in place by the shaft unless you
mount via an insulator at the front too
Electrically I can't think of any difference.  For convenience I've always
mounted and decked the shaft end.  Hope that helps
Dave G0OIL