[Amps] Fuses

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Fuses
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 07:13:48 -0800
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 20:14:54 -0800
From: "Vic, K2VCO" <vic@rakefet.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fuses

You can also get some values of 250v ceramic fuses at Home Depot, etc.
They are used in microwave ovens. I agree that slow blows are not likely
to be correct for an amplifier -- they are very slow and are often
specified for motors, etc. If an amp needs a SB it probably needs a
soft-start. You would want a fast blow in case of an arc or something.

On 1/6/11 5:12 PM, Carl wrote:
> Most likely ceramic fast blow and they should be specified in the manual.
>
> Mouser and others carry them, be sure to get the 250V rated ones.
>
> Carl
> KM1H

##  yes, make sure you use 250 V rated fuses... even though each individual fuse
is in it's respective 120 v hot leg.  Reason is, if ONE fuse blew open, and the
other
fuse remained intact, draw it out on paper, and you will see that you have 240
vac
sitting across the open fuse.   Only use 125 v rated fuses  in  a  120 vac
circuit, IE:
hot and neutral.

later... Jim   VE7RF