Re: [Amps] Fuses

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Fuses
From: "James R Carr" <n7fcf@hctc.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 14:22:56 -0800
Agreed, The first instant in time you have the full output of Bonnyville Dam
on the fault. But then the impedance of the system kicks in and limits it.
But still depending on the size of the utility transformer, it's eficiency,
the length and size of the service conductors, you can still have several
thousand amps at the main panel and down the line. About 20 25 years ago
they had to increase the fault clearing ability all the breakers in the
panels from 5000 amps to 20000 amps due to the increased use of low loss
transformers by the utilities. basically the breaker can clear it without
exploding. It probably will be terminally damaged though. I have seen buss
bars twisted into pretsels by a dead short and a breaker that didn't clear
quick enough.
Jim
N7FCF