Re: [Amps] 'heat spreader' sizing ??

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 'heat spreader' sizing ??
From: Steve Thompson <g8gsq@f2s.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:30:36 +0000
> If you take a look at the data sheet, you will see it says:
>
> "Typical pulsed performance at frequency of 225 MHz, a supply voltage of 50 V
> and an IDq of 40 mA, a tp of 100 μs with δ of 20 %:" Then it shows 1200 W.
> Everything on the data sheet refers to "pulses".
>
> So this is designed for pulse use. With 100 uS pulses, and what I assume is a
> 20
> % duty cycle, it gives 1200 W, one would probably get about 1200/5 = 240 W
> continuous. So the fact it's a 200 W amp continuous amp is not unreasonable.
>
> Note is should be very linear for a 200 W transistor amp. The 1 dB
> compression
> point of that design is 950 W.
>
> I think for almost any ham amp, the 1 dB compression point would be less than
> the rated output - here is is almost 5x the rated output.
>
> That said, the transistors are pretty damm expensive for 200 W out.

The transistor is primarily intended for use with DAB or DVT
signals, which are complex multicarrier affairs. The 100us/10%
duty is chosen as a simpler but representative way showing what
performance with 'real' broadcast signals will be, not as an
indication of the maximum average power ratings.

To a first approximation, if you want a transistor that can give
1kW pulse longer than 10s of us, you have to make a 1kW cw device.
When running cw thermal effects will come into play, reducing gain
and compression point a dB or two compared with pulsed operation.
NXP app note  AN10800 describes using the BLF578 at 800W and 1kW
cw in the FM broadcast band.

Steve