Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 Labels/upgrades

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 78 Labels/upgrades
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:53:14 -0500
Eric, I believe the scale is removable in the 78/x74 as it is in 77 series.

Another alternative is to out-source the scale to RAMMETERS.com.  I know
they've re-done old 78/x74 meter scales using the original ETO negatives.
KH6P did much of the research on this.

I recently had them make a new multimeter scale for my 77Dx as the red scale
was fading after years of indirect UV exposure.  Anyone know why red is so
sensitive to UV fading?  Same with family photos that sit in the living room
for many years of sunlight exposure.  Anyway, cost was about $45 per scale.
A bit pricey, but it's the "real deal."   If the amp is in nice cosmetic
condition, it may be worth it.  I believe they could easily use the old ETO
scales but with modified numbers for the meter doubler.  To get started,
they need all the ETO numbers from the corners of the scale -- and that
usually means disassembly of the lens from the meter.  Contact is:

Clay Boura
Ram Meter Inc.
Sales/Customer Service
1-800-446-4035