Re: [Amps] doorknob cap suppliers ?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] doorknob cap suppliers ?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 10:51:26 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 12:00:53 -0700, Robert Harmon <k6uj@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Yes that is what is in there, two 2000pf 6kv discs in parallel.
>I'm going through and upgrading caps in the amp,

REPLY:

For what it's worth - IMO, 6kV is a little bit marginal. If you ever
have an antenna fault while transmitting (broken wire, shorted coax,
whatever) the voltage across the cap can easily exceed 6kV. As long as
you're upgrading, why not put in a 12 or 15 kV cap? The cost is only a
little more and the peace of mind is priceless.

I recommend the Russian doorknobs on eBay. Good stuff.

73, Bill W6WRT