Re: [Amps] 4 wire 240VAC service? What to do now?

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4 wire 240VAC service? What to do now?
From: "Shane Youhouse" <kd6vxi@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 12:41:31 -0700
The absolute safest method, using old tech 3 wire amplifiers if you have a
4 wire cord is to install a GFCI on each leg of the 220.  Use it to plug
in a wall wart or reading lamp, keep it balanced.

If you end up in a case where you're going to have power on the case, the
GFCI(s) will blow.  t least, in my worst case it did.

USUALLY cheaper than running new power to the shack, complete with 4 wires.

--Shane
KD6VXI

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 09:34:34 -0700, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
wrote:

> On 4/4/2011 8:26 AM, Commander John wrote:
>> I twisted the 2 grounds together and installed them in the center pin
>> jack as it was that or cut one off.
>> Is there a better way?
>
> PLEASE go back and STUDY what I  and several others have written several
> times in this thread, and in the power and grounding  tutorial that's on
> my website.  http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm
>
> NEVER, EVER, connect NEUTRAL to GROUND at any point other than the point
> where it enters the building. The proper connections to your amplifier
> are the two 240V hot wires and the green wire. The neutral must NOT be
> connected.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

It's a sad state of affairs when your tubes don't have handles but your
dummy load does.