Re: [Amps] FW: [Boatanchors] Best Boatanchor 160-10m Receivers forSSB?

To: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>, "Fuqua, Bill L" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, "Robert Morris" <robrk@nidhog.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] FW: [Boatanchors] Best Boatanchor 160-10m Receivers forSSB?
From: "Carl" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 17:31:07 -0400
I have well over 100 BA's and have put several thru the various overload
tests after restored to original performance and then with a few modified
for strong signal performance. These are cycled thru the various AM
operating positions that can cover 160-10M.

Out of the box the R-390A and HRO-60 are the best with the RBB and RBC close
behind.

As expected the Collins 75A series were not good in that area. The 75S3C was
the best by far from Collins for the ham market.

With reasonably simple modifications to the front end, AGC, and gain
distribution, many are pretty darn good. The 75A4 Ive owned since 1965 has a
lot more than simple changes and will hold its own with most anything from
the ricebox manufacturers.

With just 2 very simple tube changes my HRO-60 will outhear or equal any
ricebox on 10M as does the 75A4 mentioned above.

Carl
KM1H