Re: [Amps] "Best" limit indicators for multi-turn, shaft-driven gadgetry

To: "audioguy@q.com" <audioguy@q.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] "Best" limit indicators for multi-turn, shaft-driven gadgetry
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 17:11:04 -0400
Speaking in broad generalities, that's all you need to do.  PIC processors, as
an example, have flash memory that can be used for persistent storage.  You
turn your relative position indicator into absolute by a calibration routine
that measures the number of steps from min to max.  Set a counter to zero at
min and increment it as steps are executed.  When he counter reaches the max
number of steps, you are at the max limit.  When it's zero, you are at min.  As
long as you store the counter value in persistent memory and there is no way to
move the control when the controller is powered off (without recalibration),
you always know where you are.

Al
AB2ZY