Re: [Amps] 4CX1000A

To: amps <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1000A
From: Ron Youvan <ka4inm@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:14:35 -0500
   Carl KM1H wrote:

>> I'm not mike, but I think the reverse screen current is not strictly normal,
>> in a perfectly built
>> tube you should see none.
>> These tube are built with the screen grid components hiding in the electron
>> shadow of the control
>> grid elements. When the alignment isn't perfect the electron beam strafes
>> the side of the G2
>> elements which produces emission via secondary emission.
>> I suspect most new good tubes of this kind show negotiable emission. Those
>> that do emit
>> significantly may find their way onto the hands of HAMS more easily.

> I suggest reading page 4 and 5 in the below link.
> http://www.g8wrb.org/data/Eimac/4CX1000A.pdf

> And then tell me its not perfectly normal. Most external anode tetrodes I'm
> familiar from the 4X150A
> to 4CX1500B can exhibit negative screen current.

   I stand by my statement, "in a perfectly built tube you should see none" and
"is not strictly normal"
You say: "Most external anode tetrodes I'm familiar from the 4X150A to 4CX1500B
can exhibit negative
screen current."

   I agree, "Most" and "can exhibit" but not in 100% of them, in a beam power
tetrode or pentode the
screen grid is supposed to be in the shadow of the control grid and when it is
not completely out of
the stream the electron beam strafes the screen grid a glancing blow, the is
prime angle to create
secondary emission, which is the reverse screen grid current.  (emission)
I have worked with many RCA (now Burle) (like 4CX5000R) and Thomson beam power
tetrodes (like
TH-331) that did not exhibit any noticeable screen emission.
   I am sure lining up the screen "cage" with the grid "cage" properly, is the
hardest part if
constructing this kind of tube.  (to make as many as possible that work well)
--
    Ron  KA4INM - Did you know ...
                  ... that no-one ever reads these things?