Re: [Amps] 3-500z amp homebrew question

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500z amp homebrew question
From: "N2BC" <n2bc@stny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 18:27:11 -0500
10 Commandments of Electrical Safety:
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/~troppel/tencom.html

-----Original Message-----
From: amps-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:amps-bounces@contesting.com] On
Behalf Of Roger (K8RI)
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 5:46 PM
To: amps@contesting.com

On 2/12/2012 12:52 PM, John Lemay wrote:
> Mike
>
> If you did not understand the reason for that choke, do you think you
> should be doing any work inside the amplifier ?

We all have/had to start some where and asking questions is a good place to
start.  It's where you learn to keep one hand in your pocket and don't wear
rings, watches, neck chains, or other jewelry while working on *stuff*, but
we didn't have to worry about static electricity ruining parts.

My first transmitter didn't work worth...crap.  Pair of 6L6's Then I
discovered those blue resistors were all wire wound. Wondered if that might
have an effect, probably not but I replaced them with carbon composition to
see if it did and it it worked great, right off.

It was amazing to watch the blue glow change in time with the keying...along
with the glow of the plates. (Two years later I was working with 100 to 200
KW Plus.) There were all kinds of tubes available for a buck or two new, and
generally free at the local TV repair shops.
On top of that the local hams would usually help out and sell or give parts
to build most anything unless it was their favorite final like 304TLs, Of
course even the high power ones were a whopping $5 or $10 USD.

800V can kill you just as dead as 3000, it just can't reach quite as far and
you know those filter caps can hold a charge a longggg time without a
bleeder.
Beware the lightning that lurketh in charged capacitors!

Anyone have the 10 commandments of electrical safety?

73

Roger (K8RI)