Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?

To: "'Pete Smith N4ZR'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State (was) Expert Amps 2K-FA: Any Opinions ?
From: "Mike Baker" <k7dd@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:57:16 -0700
Perhaps it is just my frugal nature but, $2K+ for a 500W amp is nuts to me!
For the money a new AL-80B with a few tweaks to fix the excess fil voltage
issue would probably run forever if you limited it to about 700W output PEP
on SSB and 500W on RTTY.
With prices as they are today for legal limit amps 6K$ would likely sell
without much fanfare as most of the new school hams simply don't want to
build anything!
Hell, they won't even solder their own PL-259 connectors on or build a wire
antenna let alone anything that might kill them like an amp!

Mike Baker  K7DD
K7dd@cox.net
All QSO's are uploaded to LOTW and EQSL.