Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State

To: <dhallam@knology.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] every db lost re Tubes vs. Solid State
From: "Sam Carpenter" <sam@owenscommunication.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 16:50:49 -0400
I wish they were all N or HN or DIN Connectors. I have seen some pl259, and
even N connectors do ugly things under load, admittedly more at higher
frequencies. Commercially we are using DIN Connectors more and more. In part
because of the Power of several combined transmitters on one line at380 &
700-800-900 mHz, but more for low PIM. I compromised once on a cheap PL259
connector I had in a drawer and while tuning up an LK550 (HF) got quite a
loud surprise. It blew the RG8 right out of the connector and made quite a
fire ball. One of the tubes had a bad reaction to that. It was costly. I
have noticed on the captivated pin (crimp on) N connectors, they get pretty
hot with just a couple hundred watts of 800 mHz. We use some crimp on
connectors for low power mobile, low power control stations, etc... but
never outside and never never with high power. There is no substitute for a
properly soldered and tightly installed connector that is trimmed properly.
Just like getting over 500 hp in a car, things start breaking fast, getting
QRO, similarly things start breaking and sometimes catching on fire. It is
such a simple cheap thing to buy and install the best connectors for
everything past the amp and to the antenna. I think it is a terrible place
to compromise. I would rather do that at the low power end of things. I
think Henry had the right output connector on the 4k Ultra. Sam N9FUT