Re: [Amps] Why are we building amps rather then transmitters? (Tubes vs.

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Why are we building amps rather then transmitters? (Tubes vs. Solid State)
From: W2XJ <w2xj@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 17:29:14 -0400
I agree. A complete transmitter would solve many technical issues and
depending on the implementation, could drastically improve performance.
Solid State broadcast transmitters that transmit digital carriers along
with analog and therefore must run in linear mode can achieve IMD under
-80 DBC using techniques most easily implemented in a composite unit.
For an I/Q interface, I think SDR has evolved to the point that Ethernet
is all that is required. Any control or tuning can use the same Ethernet
connection.