Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State
From: Roger <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 15:52:31 -0400
> Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 02:34:46 +0000
> From: Manfred Mornhinweg<manfred@ludens.cl>
> Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State
>

> - Hams are obviously willing to pay 5000 bucks for an amp, so why
> destroy the market by making amps that sell for 700 bucks? The
> intermediate option, making amps that are cheap to make, and then sell
> them at 4000 bucks, probably won't live long with hams. They want to see
> where the cost is.

There are a lot of if's, but's,  and other variables, but:
There is normally a lot more money in high volume, medium price than
there is in low volume, high price although that depends on reliability,
difficulty inum build, and the ultimate ROI.  A rugged, medium priced SS
device that would allow building an amp with far less protective
circuitry would lend itself well to easy and fast build with minimal
parts. You can always add things like auto antenna selection, antenna
tuner, and other goodies to bring in the "high end crowd".

  73,

Roger (K8RI)