Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers

To: Bob Henderson <bob@5b4agn.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 09:30:45 -0600
Bob,

Vdd was fed in at the U point on the brass tube, single turn, point.  If
I switch back to that transformer, I'll try the bifilar choke feed and
report.  I did some IMD measurements this morning.  I fed the amp with
two Norcal 40 QRP transceivers on 40 m.  The input IMD due to the
combiner isolation was -44 dBt where dBt means below one of the two tone
peaks instead of the carrier which if present would be 6 dB higher.  The
contribution from the input IMD is given by B = 20Log(1+10^(-A/20))
where A is difference in dB between the input IMD and the output IMD.  I
measured an output IMD3 of -32 dBt at 100 watts on the amp under test.
That makes A = 12dB therefore B = 2dB which makes IMD3 = -34dBt.  IMD5
was -60dBt and IMD7 was -52dBt.

73   Tom   W0IVJ