Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers

To: garyschafer@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Amps] LDMOS Solid State Amplifiers
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2012 18:53:58 -0600
Roger is correct.  The two exciters,  which were about 70 kHz apart in
frequency, were combined with a 6-dB combiner and the input IMD was
monitored with a through sampler as it went into the amp.  The amp under
test was fed into a dummy load and monitored with another sampler into a
spectrum analyzer.  Both samplers replicate the sampled signal 40 dB
down.  A single tone from the amp was referenced and then the two
exciters were adjusted to give two carriers at a level 6-dB below the
reference.

The input IMD3 was -44 dBt and the output was -32 dBt.  Using the
following equation:

B = 20Log(1+10^(-A/20))

A = 44 - 32 = 12.  Therefore B = 2 dB which is the contribution to the output
IMD3 from the input IMD3.  It then follows that the output IMD3 would be 2 dB
better, thus -34 dBt if the input had no IMD3.  This only applied to IMD3 in my
case because IMD5 and higher were not measurable on the input.

I hope this is clear.

73,  Tom  W0IVJ