Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tubes vs. Solid State
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 17:43:57 -0600
Bob,

I am experimenting with the 300 W Freescale part.  Using the brass tube
output transformer with a single turn on the primary and 2 turns on the
secondary without a harmonic filter I measured the following:
Vdd = 50 V
Id = 10.5 A
Po = 200 W
3H = -11.8 dBc
5H = -20.5 dBc
I then followed Manfred's suggestions and used a 4:1 transmission line
transformer wound with 30 ohm coax, a bifilar wound power combiner to
supply drain voltage, and a choke balun on the output of the
transmission line transformer.  I then measured the following with no
harmonic filter:
Vdd = 50 V
Id = 7.5 A
Po = 200 W
3H = -22dBc
5H = -30 dBc
When I reduced the power output to 100 W, 3H went to -30 dBc.  In all
cases the total Idq was 1.5 A.
I hope this helps.

73,  Tom  W0IVJ