Re: [Amps] filament instant heating query / simple remedy

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] filament instant heating query / simple remedy
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:51:18 +0930

That's right Pete, the SB220 had a well designed filament transformer that
self-limited the cold inrush current to a safer value close to what the tube
manufacturer Eimac specified. What the NTC thermistors do in both the SB220
and TL922 is bring the 3-500Z filaments up in a nice slow and controlled
manner.

Eliminating the inrush current surge completely like this just seems so
intuitively a good thing to do to mitigate thermal stress on the cold
filament structure.

Leigh

VK5KLT