Re: [Amps] filament instant heating query / simple remedy

To: <dhallam@knology.net>, "Ian White GM3SEK" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Amps] filament instant heating query / simple remedy
From: "Jim W7RY" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 07:22:35 -0700
-Has anyone tried an approach like Carel, PC5M, with a microprocessor
-controlled soft start for the filament.  The microprocessor controls an
-optical triac driver  The triac is turned on and off over an increasing
-portion of the line AC cycle until full on is reached. His
-microprocessor program does this in 100 sec.  It is designed only for
-soft start and does not do any regulation of the filament voltage after
-full output is reached.

-David
-KW4DH

Oh PLEASE!

Just put a resistor in line switched with a relay!  This is not rocket
science!

-But after that initial surge, the truly dedicated obsessive must move on
-to worry about the stability of the filament voltage.

-So now our filament supply includes a hot, temperature-variable
-thermistor, connected permanently in circuit... and we are the group who
-can argue for weeks about +/- 0.1 volt.

-This should be good ;-)
-73 from Ian GM3SEK

And Ian... Yes indeed!  Let's argue about .1 volt and use a stick of
dynamite to kill a fly!  My line voltage varies 2-3 volts (or more)
depending on which sub station serves my house.  I don't loose sleep over
the life of my 3-500s. 3CX800s and 8877s!!!

73
Jim W7RY