Re: [Amps] Oscilloscope Purchase

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oscilloscope Purchase
From: Al Kozakiewicz <akozak@hourglass.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:35:43 -0400
A couple of years ago I sold a 475 at a hamfest identical to the one I'd used
for several years as a young engineer fresh out of college in the mid 1970's
for $75 less probes.

I purchased a mid-80s 4 channel 350mHz Tek scope off eBay (can't remember the
model # - it's at our other house) for $35 that was advertised as not working,
betting that I could fix it (I am a sucker for test equipment at bargain
prices).  When I got the thing, the only problem was a switch that was sticking
due to a bit of crud on the front panel that prevented it from booting up
properly.  An excellent purchase.

One small issue with the Chinese probes is that they are all missing the little
pin that automatically switches the analog Tek scopes from 1x to 10x and they
also lack the ident button (which uses the aforementioned pin) that's very
handy when you're using more than one channel.

Al
AB2ZY