Re: [Amps] Oscilloscope Purchase

To: rmyouvan@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Oscilloscope Purchase
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry@tr2.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:52:23 -0700 (PDT)
What I remember from my instrument shop days ( back in the late 70's ) was
that Tektronix scopes worked better, but HP were easier to work on.
Typical construction for a Tek scope ( 475 etc ) was four big circuit
boards, one on each side.  Getting a board off was a pain.  HP, OTOH
had vertical boards that plugged into a horizontal backplane, and you
could pop them up on extender boards.

  The really old Tek equipment had unique terminal strips made of ceramic
with silver notches.  You had to solder them with silver bearing solder
-
ordinary solder would leach the silver out of the notches which would come
apart.  I still have a roll of silver solder from those days.

                              - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB ( jerry@tr2.com )