Re: [Amps] Amplified TV Antenna

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplified TV Antenna
From: "Jerry Kaidor" <jerry@tr2.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 21:24:12 -0700 (PDT)
> On 7/6/2012 2:42 PM, Jerry Kaidor wrote:
>> It reminds me of the importance of ground loops.
>> Ground loops and me - we have a history.
>
> There is no such thing as a "ground loop" -- it is a totally false
> concept.
 The actual cause of the hum/buzz problems we blame on these
> imaginary "ground loops" are LEAKAGE CURRENT from the AC power system,
> the IR drop in the green wires
*** Um, the OM-1 had no green wire.  Two-wire cord.
You seem to have some problem with the words or sounds "ground loop"  - OK,
let's call it a Squigblap.  My OM-1 suffered a squigblap - voltage at
unexpected places caused by IR drop in chassis connections which developed
unexpected resistance.

   I find that squigblaps are generally or often caused by running
multiple incompatible signals through the same conductor.  I eliminated
60Hz squigblaps in my old ARC5-cabinet linear by using separate returns
for pretty much everything, especially the filament AC.  Having
separate return
conductors for each signal pretty much naturally leads to a "single point
ground".

  Doing electrical work on my airplane, I installed a fancy GPS/Radio
unit.  Garmin fought with squigblaps by having a separate return for
every single signal.  Lots and lots of returns. A shop fabricated me a
wire harness for it - they had consolidated some of the power returns. I
took the harness apart and added all the mising returns.   It was a nice
quiet installation.

                           - Jerry Kaidor,KF6VB