Re: [Amps] Amplified TV Antenna

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Amplified TV Antenna
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 16:07:27 -0400
> In practice if the signal is above the digital cliff it is 100%. What
> make life more complicated?

The digital cliff is the perfect vehicle for sloppy design since it
allows a system to show a generally perfect picture one moment and
nothing the next.  It simply hides sloppy system design.  Working
with marginal antennas when a proper system (e.g. adding a 29" dipole
in parallel with a UHF only bow tie) is easily obtainable with no
overall impact to the installation only opens the door to unreliable
operation when the station drops power, absorption/scattering increases
due to weather or the front end gain drops due to HF overload, etc..

 > I have been working with DTV for 15 years and learned what works.
 > It is necessary to think differently.

I have designed and built TV reception systems for more than 35 years.
Cutting corners is simply sloppy and unprofessional whether one was
using about vacuum tube preamps and converters or working with modern
ATSC/DTV systems.  Two or three dB above the digital cliff may work
for 80% of the cases 80% of the time but the extra three to six dB
from doing the job right will raise the reliability to 99+/99+ .
While 80% may be "good enough" for some in the big city, it's not the
way the rest of the world works.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV