[Amps] How lossy is Nylon at 50 MHz?

To: 'AMPS' <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] How lossy is Nylon at 50 MHz?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 17:45:02 +0100
I know Nylon does not have great RF dielectric properties (PTFE is much lower
loss), but how bad is Nylon? I'm thinking of using a piece at the feed points
of
a folded dipole in a Yagi. I can't say the exact frequency, but it is close to
50 MHz.

The power is only 200 W, and the impedance at this point is 200 Ohms, so the
RMS
voltage is 200 V. This is across a 15 mm gap, so the electric field is not very
high. (Assuming the field across the gap was constant, then the E field is only
200/15 = 13 V/m (RMS) or 19 V/m (peak). But I suspect it will be higher at the
ends of the metal dipole.

My gut feeling that the losses wont cause any problems, but if anyone has
experience of using Nylon in 6 m amps, I'd be interested in how you got on.

Doing a microwave test is not really very useful, as it does not tell me
anything about the performance at 50 MHz.

Dave, G8WRB