Re: [Amps] 87a will tell you, too

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 87a will tell you, too
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 09:53:27 -0400
 > This is a common and very well known problem with the K3, but not
 > often discussed due to the powerful love people have for their K3
 > radios.  The factory has acknowledeged it but has also denied it.

This is another typical lie promulgated by the Elecraft haters.

Any "power spike" is simply a matter of improper alignment of the K3
*by the user*.  When properly aligned it is not possible for the K3
ALC to "overshoot".  The "K3 power spike" is a symptom of improperly
setting (or failing to set, or failing to set when the power supply
voltage is different than the original calibration voltage) the TX
Gain - "Transmitter Gain, pg 49 and 50, K3 Owner's Manual".

It is also a symptom of setting the K3 output power too high when using
the K3 with external ALC.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV