Re: [Amps] Multi-Amp w/ Power Combiners

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Multi-Amp w/ Power Combiners
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kirkby@onetel.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2012 14:40:10 +0100
On 08/24/12 07:00 PM, Larry Benko wrote:
> Generally yes if the combined port is at the correct impedance.  The
> term you asking about is called isolation and it is specified port to
> port and is a function of terminating impedances.  If you care to know
> more about combiners and splitters work there is a wealth of good info
> on the web.
>
> http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/power%20combining.cfm
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_combiner  etc.
>
> Larry, W0QE

I think one might struggle with tube amps, as any tuning adjustments on the
input or output are likely to change the phase of the signal at the output of
the amps. Unless the two signals arriving at the combiner are in phase, you are
not going to get the desired effect.

I might be wrong - I have never tried it, but I suspect it will not be quite as
simple as one might like.

Dave