Re: [Amps] The GU84B and GU78B tubes / some brief history

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] The GU84B and GU78B tubes / some brief history
From: "Leigh Turner" <invertech@frontierisp.net.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:48:18 +1030
Ian, Peter V, Peter C,

You are 100% correct in your spot-on the mark comments below!

Much nonsense has been promulgated on this forum to the contrary :-(

A savvy RF amplifier designer can indeed extract perfectly adequate IMD
performance from any of the aforementioned and often unfairly maligned
tetrodes when used in grid-driven linear AB1 SSB amplifiers.

It's no accident that all of the adept European ham amplifier manufacturers
deploy tetrodes in their designs and commercial products. Plus there remains
an abundance of excellent NOS surplus military SSB and linear TV amp tubes
in the marketplace at reasonable prices that make these niche companies
viable and enduring. Broadcast transmitters were also largely tetrode based.

Properly designed and properly operated, a tetrode based SSB linear amp will
exhibit spectral purity performance that's on par with that of any triode
based amplifier.

Leigh
VK5KLT