[Amps] Heathkit SB-1000 Arcing

To: "amps @ COL" <amps@contesting.com>, "a SB-1000 @ Yahoo" <HeathKit_HFAmps@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Amps] Heathkit SB-1000 Arcing
From: "Thomas F Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 08:24:39 -0500
I have an old Heathkit SB-1000 made in 1989. It has a new 3-500Z tube and new power supply capacitors.

The amplifier has developed and internal arc somewhere but I can't locate visually locate it. When the arc occurs the voltage drops from approximately 3100 to 2900 volts.

So I presume it's occurring somewhere in the power supply. When the arcing isn't occurring power output is within the normal range.

My tech skills are not what they once were so any helpful comments would be much appreciated.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o@tampabay.rr.com