Re: [Amps] 50v power supply options for SS amps

To: "Jim W7RY" <w7ry@centurytel.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50v power supply options for SS amps
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 21:41:50 -0800
## You may well be correct..IF multiple units are used in parallel. It's been 3 years since I retired..and last worked on em. One control module would control up to several shelves of these switchers. They all "talked" to ach other via the control board. If any one or more died on a shelf, the remaining supplies on the same shelf would simply divide the load between them..and equally. That was for a one shelf ...six supplies...20 kw worth ( 6 x 3.3 kw) situation....like for the typ cell site. In a big central office, with several shelves, if one unit dies, the remaining 59 supplies divide the load between them.

## In the case of just one supply, yes, you can hardwire it to run just fine..and no controller required. Just stuff 240 vac into it.

## In large central offices, where two 5 V @ 40A CCS supplies are used in parallel to run processor boards etc, to get em to divide equally, we would have to set the vdc on each of them manually to exactly 5.000 vdc Thousands of those were replaced with the newer style..that also had a cable between em, that was part of the parallel balance config. No more manually setting each supply. As long as the new control cable was between em, they would divide the load current equally 50-50 between them.

Later... Jim   VE7RF

-----Original Message----- From: Jim W7RY