Re: [Amps] reasonable design

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] reasonable design
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 01:18:56 -0500
On 2/21/2013 4:04 PM, John Lyles wrote:
I have followed recent threads that go back and forth about cooling
transformers and use of switch mode technology for HV. I have two practical
examples that I will share that demonstrate that these things can go either
way, there is no hard rule these days, not to mention individual preference and
acceptable design risk. I am not suggesting that I did the right things, but
after lengthy testing and use, the decisions were the right ones. I know that
we hams can be quite stubborn to try new things, and often good old heavy iron
technology is just fine. These are just examples, nothing to force anyone to be
uncomfortable with a choice.

We use the reactors to control the 440 "single phase into very large tapped transformers that provided curren for resistance.

IIRC the saturable core reactors (SCRs) weighed several tons each. As power requirements went up they were replaced with a pair of SCRs (Silicon Controlled Rectifiers) about the size of a hock puck that were water cooled. those power transformers were large enough to tip good size fork lift up on end.

BTW we used Mag amps to control the reactors.

73

Roger (K8RI)